The results are in—the top trends at the 2017 NAMA OneShow are all about personalization and choice. Roni Moore, National Automatic Merchandising Association (NAMA) Vice President, explained that “Today, consumers are looking for choice and convenience in fresh and functional foods as well as beverages.” Meeting those demands can be challenging, but there are three trends that can help the New York City company be successful.
Personalized Nutrition and Snacking Throughout the Day
- Increase the types and availability of small, bite-sized meals. Many Millennials prefer to consume multiple healthy snacks or mini-meals each day rather than eating the traditional three meals per day.
- Offer additional personalized snacks and beverages. As more New York City employees understand the connection between their health and what they eat, the need for functional foods and beverages becomes a requirement rather than a nice-to-have,
- Increase the amount of healthy snacks and beverages that are available including those that are part of FitPick, a nutrition program that identifies products with fewer calories, and less sugar, fat, and sodium.
Number of Micro-Markets to Top 35,000
- Rapid growth has been predicted between 2009 and 2022 with an expected 35, 000 micro-markets (over 9,000).
- Successful micro-markets often offer a cafe-style break room that appeals to Millennials, product placement similar to a convenience store layout, and a wide variety of choices including fresh foods—a top seller in micro-markets.
- Micro-markets include a mix of industry technology and trends such fresh foods and better-for-you snacks and are convenient for both consumers and companies. The mix often results in higher New York City employee productivity and fewer sick days.
- Make mobile payments via smartphones. It is no longer necessary to carry cash or credit cards to be able to purchase snacks and beverages from a vending machine.
- Offer non-consumable products such as shoes or phone chargers from vending machines. Many New York City employees are often on the go for the majority of the day and do not have time to run errands. Convenient access to non-consumable products is a great time saver.
- Development of intelligent vending machines that are able to showcase product nutrition labels. Since the adoption of the U.S. Food & Drug Administration’s new rule regarding vending machine nutrition labeling requirements, vending machine providers have been challenged to develop a way to provide consumers with the required nutritional information. Intelligent vending machines offer a flexible solution for both consumers and vending providers.
Have you considered incorporating one or more of these trends in your New York City office break room but aren’t sure where to start? Champion Vending can help. We will help you design a complete office break room from scratch, make a few changes, or anything in between. Contact us at 800.558.5450 for more information.